A Lodger Agreement is a written or verbal agreement between a
resident landlord and the lodger(s) that also live in their property.
Whilst there is no legal requirement for you to obtain such an
agreement and renting a room in a property within which you reside is
simpler than renting out an entire property, it is still advisable that
you obtain a Lodger Agreement which specifies:
- The duration of the let (how long your lodger will be entitled to
reside in the relevant room);
- How much rent is payable and the frequency of these payments;
- Details of any deposits that are to be collected;
- An inventory of the items present within the relevant room and
their condition; and
- Any additional services that the landlord may provide to their
lodger(s) such as cleaning.
Failing to obtain such an agreement can cause significant problems,
and lead to you accruing unnecessary legal costs, in the event of a
dispute. Fortunately, with a concise, clearly written and binding
Lodger Agreement you can enjoy the peace of mind that comes from
knowing that you’re covered in the event of a dispute between yourself
and your lodger(s) - and all for just £9.99!